[lbo-talk] Newt on Obama and Change

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 13:05:54 PST 2008

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-gingrich15feb15,1,1025914.story>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-gingrich15feb15,1,1025914.story

Gingrich on Obama's chances: Yes he can

Winning this year, he says, requires chasing the theme of change.

From the Associated Press

February 15, 2008

HONOLULU ­ Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich says the presidential candidate who best communicates a message of change will win, and so far that candidate is Sen. Barack Obama.

Gingrich, in the islands promoting his book "Real Change," predicted in a telephone interview from Maui that Obama will surge ahead of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic nomination and pose a significant challenge to Republican Sen. John McCain.

"If McCain can't communicate a vision of dramatic change for America, he'll just lose, whether he appeases conservatives or annoys conservatives," said Gingrich, architect of the "Contract With America," which helped Republicans take the House and Senate in 1994.

McCain will have a tough time getting elected if he becomes known as a candidate representing more of the same, he said.

Hawaii's Democratic caucus will be held Tuesday.

"I don't see how the Clintons can draw a distinction with Obama, so I think Obama will be the nominee," Gingrich said. "To win this year, you have to be the candidate of real change."