[lbo-talk] the hyperbole continues: Obama = Mandela

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 17 11:30:28 PST 2008

<http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0208/ NYTs_Keller_compares_Obama_and_Mandela.html>

[Ben Smith] February 16, 2008 Read More: Barack Obama

NYT's Keller compares Obama and Mandela

The executive editor of The New York Times, Bill Keller, sees "unmistakable" similarities between the campaigns of Barack Obama and Nelson Mandela, he said in a podcast interview on the paper's website.

The interview, done for the New York Times Book Review, is on the subject of Keller's young adult biography of Nelson Mandela, whom he covered. Asked about Obama, Keller calls him "fascinating."

Keller said Obama and Mandela share a rhetorical style, not always riveting, but always "appealing to the higher sense of purpose and history."

And he said both "somehow rose above race while still clearly being black."

I transcribed the brief portion of the interview, pointed out to me by a reader, which you can listen to here (.mp3).