[lbo-talk] the hyperbole continues: Obama = Mandela

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Sun Feb 17 11:55:13 PST 2008

<http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0208/ NYTs_Keller_compares_Obama_and_Mandela.html>

[Ben Smith] February 16, 2008 Read More: Barack Obama

NYT's Keller compares Obama and Mandela

^^^^^^^ CB: Marvin mentioned Denzell Washington. I'm thinking Tiger Woods or Derek Jeter or Barry Bonds (smile)

On the cover of Barry (!) Obama's book ,his grandfather looks like Ronald Reagan a little. Evidently, his grandfather was a salesman. At the point where he isn't doing so well, there a slight Willie Loman theme to his character. Barry lived with his grandparents for a while. I wouldn't underestimate the ability of a regular anti-racist white man( and woman , Tutu was her nickname) to show a Black kid how to negotiate race among middle American white people. Tutu worked as an executive in a small bank, and made more money than Gramps at one point. Gramps was sort of a Ronald Reagan gone good.

With all the other non-progressive stuff in his campaign, a central revolutionary chord in US politics is Black/White unity, and big O is your boy for that. He literally personifies Black/White unity.

The majorly accepted ideology on race among whites today is to quote Martin Luther King " judge by the content of character not the color of the skin." O says OK white people take race out of it. I'm the superior character. And actually he's kind of a giant individual character by coincidence of birth. He's fully Black and fully White , for one thing, and gets the max out of that American personality dialectic . Barry is on character steroids.

For Nietszche fans, here's your Superman, baby. Live from around the world , Hawaii, Indonesia, Kenya and Chicago, Barry O. Comin at ya right out the slave class. President of the Harvard law review.

Sometimes there's something to hybrid vigor ( smile).