[lbo-talk] Obama and Clinton as party-line Democrats

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 13:05:14 PST 2008

[Maybe Hillary can't make women faint, but Bill Clinton can, and did, with a little help, Saturday (yesterday) night in Austin at the opening of Hillary's TX HQ. Will Matt Drudge and the NY Post, et. al, report on it? -B]

From: http://www.burntorangereport.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=4998

[...]

Then there is the Hillary Clinton HQ experience I had later tonight.

[...]

I decided to go to Hillary's [Austin] HQ opening after hearing that Bill Clinton would speak. Even though I'm voting for Obama, I can't turn down a chance to hear Bill Clinton talk. So I grabbed my framed picture of Bill and I together that I took a few years ago by chance, removed the glass, and headed to the Clinton HQ opening event.

Her HQ is about seven miles from the city center and is practically under a freeway overpass. It's located exactly two doors down from a "Gentlemen's Club", and a very big one at that. [...]

Anyway, after waiting an hour outside in the freezing cold, we are let in. I'm right up in front, four feet from where Bill Clinton will be. About 600 people cram themselves into a room with no air conditioning. The crowd and the TV-strength lights generate tons of heat, and there's nothing to do but wait for Bill. After 30 minutes it feels like 100 degrees, and a woman faints.

Someone calls 911, which leads to the fire marshal showing up (see pictures). He scolds the Clinton staff for violating the post legal capacity of the room by three-fold. Remarkably, the Fire Department mans the doors and allows the event to continue.

Another hour and a half passes, and the temperature grows unbearably hot. It's in the 40s outside, but everyone inside is sweating and becoming impatient. I make a joke to the ladies standing next to me that Bill is probably enjoying himself at the strip club next door. They smirk but don't seem to like the joke.

[...]

[Full piece at URL above.]

Doug Henwood wrote:

"This is deeply amazing stuff. But Hillary can't make women faint!"