[lbo-talk] ouch

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Feb 17 21:56:12 PST 2008

John Thornton wrote:
> Andy F wrote:
>> <http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/>
>>
>> Discuss.
>
> "The Prius might be the most perfect white product ever. It’s expensive,
> gives the idea that you are helping the environment, and requires no
> commitment/changes other than money.
> The Toyota Prius gets 45 miles per gallon. That’s right, you can drive
> 45 miles and burn only one gallon of gasoline. So somehow, through
> marketing or perception, the Prius lets people think that driving their
> car is GOOD for the environment.
> It’s a pretty sweet deal for white people. You can buy a car, continue
> to drive to work and Barak Obama rallies and feel like you are helping
> the environment!
> Some white people decide to pull the ultimate move. Prius, Apple Sticker
> on the back, iPod rocking, and Democratic Candidate bumper sticker.
> Unstoppable!

> While this may not accurately describe a sizable portion of the white
> population it nails the Prius owner perfectly in my opinion.

My Republican sister gets a big kick when I describe Prius drivers as being sanctimonious rich liberals.

My beef with Prius drivers is that they drive so fucking slow. I'm not a leadfoot, nor am I an aggressive driver, but these Prius drivers drive slower than molasses.

I experienced a cringe-worthy moment this morning when the local community radio station, KKFI, was playing a bunch of godawful political music. One horrible song was titled something like "The Hummer vs. the Hybrid." If you thought that chest-beating liberal Prius drivers were annoying, try listening to some of them singing about their fucking hybrids.

I switched the station to classic rock as soon as I could get out of the chair.

Chuck