[lbo-talk] at least he's black!

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Feb 18 15:32:29 PST 2008

I don't think the analogy works. For all of the rhetorical conservatism of the 1905 protests, it still involved a series challenge to the structure of the regime. I don't think you find any sort of comparable transgression within the context of the Obama campaign. A better analogue to 1905 probably is the series of pro-immigration rallies over the past couple years. You have a comparable conservatism with the use of the U.S. flag (which is tactical, just as the 1905 example probably was) and at the same time which brought out millions into the political sphere in ways that hadn't occurred before. When I see Obama bringing his supporters into the streets I'll concede your point, but until then, he is a politician running an efficient campaign. robert wood