[lbo-talk] single payer health care was [at least he's black!]

Campaign for Peace and Democracy cpd at igc.org
Tue Feb 19 11:18:36 PST 2008

Not to comment on what the role of LBO should be, I want to take issue somewhat with Doug when he says about the fight for real universal health care in this country, :"A few union locals have signed on, and a few small organizations are pushing it. But there's nothing like the campaign you seem to think exists."

There's more support than Doug describes. The organizations-- Physicians for a National Health Program, California Nurses Association, Healthcare Now-- that are leading the fight for single payer aren't so small. And far from being just "a few union locals," an impressive list of union organizations has endorsed John Conyers's single payer health care legislation, HR676: 378 union organizations in 48 states including 95 Central Labor Councils and Area Labor Federations and 32 state AFL-CIO's. More union bodies are signing on every month. They need to do more than pass resolutions, but these endorsements reflect significant grassroots success in beginning to move the labor movement in a good direction.

There's a lot more to be done, and we don't yet have the mass campaign we need. But support for single payer isn't as dinky as Doug seems to suggest. Joanne Landy