[lbo-talk] Why Not Just Squat a Home?

John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:26:31 PST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 10:05 AM, Steven L. Robinson <srobin21 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Amen to that. Squat long enough and its yours. Its called adverse possession, If you occupy the property long enough, you can become the legal owner. In some states, you have to pay the property taxes and maintain the property. Big obstacle course to overcome - realtors, banks, police etc. SR

Adverse possession laws usually require you to have uncontested and open possession of the property for something on the order of a decade. As a result they're mostly applicable to mis-surveyed property boundaries; I can't imagine that a bank would let you squat in a McMansion for 10 years without saying boo.

-- "The more I practice, the luckier I get." -- Ben Hogan