[lbo-talk] Guy tried what Ehrenreich did in Nickel & Dimed, finds it's no problem, doesn't know what big deal is

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Feb 20 09:47:09 PST 2008

B. wrote:

> Interestingly, he did use food stamps along the way.
> If he "really" didn't need them, isn't that sorta ...
> fraud-y?

This guy was young and white, right?

Probably good looking? Probably has good dental work?

I can believe a young, smart white guy starting with $25 and working his way towards a stable form of poverty.

There are plenty of jobs out there for working people who are on the margins. Yesterday I was doing my community service and was talking to a working class black woman who is 3 years older than me. She told me that she's been working a variety of jobs through Labor Ready, Manpower and other placement services. She told me about one job where she spent two days cleaning light fixtures at a Home Depot. She was trying to get her community service done this week so she could get back to work. She says that she hasn't had many problems finding work.

By the way, this community service crap is another way for courts to dick around poor people. Then there are the social agencies which rob you even more when you have to deal with ongoing aspects of your probation.

Chuck