[lbo-talk] Guy tried what Ehrenreich did in Nickel & Dimed, finds it's no problem, doesn't know what big deal is

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Feb 20 09:59:26 PST 2008

B. asks:

> Interestingly, he did use food stamps along the way.
> If he "really" didn't need them, isn't that sorta ...
> fraud-y?

Absolutely not! A big problem with these kinds of benefits is that far too many people who are eligible for them don't take advantage of them. If you're eligible, there's no reason not to use them; it's why they are there! Even thinking about it in terms of "do I really need this?" is a mistake.

It would be fraud to misrepresent your eligibility, not your "need" ...

/jordan