[lbo-talk] Obama & the white guys

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 08:14:29 PST 2008

Dunno how typical or representative this is is, but -- my girlfriend's parents, who are Republican, and who never vote in primaries, are voting here in the TX Dem primary for Obama.

They hate Clinton viscerally, beyond any sense or reason. They are more frightened of her being president than anything, and want to head her off at the pass, as it were. They will ultimately vote for McCain in the general election, however, no matter who gets the Dem nomination. They just don't want Hillary to get it.

They are also the kind of (white) people I could imagine giving a "Bradley Effect"-type answer to a pollster over the phone. "Yes, we love Obama." But in the voting booth, fuck that, it'll be McCain.

-B.