[lbo-talk] crises kill

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Feb 26 13:26:03 PST 2008

Paul:

>Permaculture, flash mobs, occupation of school or unionizing, work with
>Food Not Bombs, pirate radio, street news...
>
>There are still so many things to actually do versus merely passively
>consuming a spectacle.

True, and I've mentioned similar things to her. Still, there's nothing inherently wrong or bad about expression that's amplified by corporate outlets. Depends on what it is and what it conveys. All sorts of shit leaks through the cracks, though not as much as it used to.

Eric:

> When I was fifteen, in 1984, I was sad because I'd missed it all too.
> But then I found out about the Minutemen, Husker Du, William Gaddis,
> etc. Just today I heard new, good songs by the Magnetic Fields,
> Joseph K, and Scout Niblett & Will Oldham. Shit still happens while
> teenagers mope.

She listens to a lot of contemporary music. She's my guide to what's new. And while she likes, say, Amy Winehouse, she tells me that everything's a retread of earlier bands and styles. This is why her current fave stuff is Velvet Underground and Joy Division.

Dennis