[lbo-talk] crises kill

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 26 14:57:36 PST 2008

Voyou wrote:

> "The majority of students I encounter seem to be in a state of what I'd
> call depressive hedonia. Depression is usually characterised in terms of
> anhedonia, but the state I'm referring to is constituted not by an
> inability to get pleasure so much as it by an inability to do anything
> else except pursue pleasure. There is a sense that 'something is
> missing' - but no appreciation that this mysterious, missing enjoyment
> can only be accessed beyond the pleasure principle. In large part this
> is a consequence of students' ambiguous structural position, stranded
> between their old role as subjects of disciplinary institutions and
> their new status as consumers of services."

More or less ture -- but banal because no more true of the 21st-c than of the 1950s. One part is profoundly wrong, that which focuses on "pleasure" s though these depressed students were looking for positive pleasure rather than anaethesia in order not to focus on what one was not doing because though that what was simple, easily done, and would cause trouble if not done, the person simply does not do it: it's not that she won't do it or can't do it or has something else to do; she simply does not do it and an hour later cannot for thelife of her figure out why she did not do it. AND I MEAN SIMPLE AND EASY: Like not making a 3-minute phone call to change an appointment to avoid a conflict, or retype the last 10 pages of a dissertation to get in the mail to the person who will type the formal coppies or make a two-hour trip on a lazy summer day to check a footnote which is the last thing to do before getting the dissertaion to the typist. Instead one reads an Earle Stanley Gardner mystery or rereads a Dickens novel for the third time or plays solitaire for an hour or two -- which to the outsider will look _exactly_ like pursuing pleasure.

Carrol