[lbo-talk] crises kill

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 26 15:28:15 PST 2008

What Carroll is talking about is the classic definition of sin, = settling for too little, not wanting happiness enough. No one chooses evil. All evils done are done under the species of good: I murder my neighbor (call me Claudius) because I want his wife and his property, two good things.

We all suffer from depressive hedonia, but it takes historically (and probably generationally) various forms. Moral reformers urge us to "dare to struggle, dare to win," but we vary in our ability to believe (have faith) in the possibility. --CGE