[lbo-talk] Moby - nerd, wuss, or dick?

Percival Myers permaceaem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:33:13 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> >> Because he's pompous and self-righteous and his music sucks.
> >
> > This explanation fails when it is applied to globally-aware U2/Bono,
>
> It fits Bono to a T.

Does it? I saw Bono being interviewed by some accolytes with microphones and cameras not long ago. Someone asked, what did he do with some time off he had recently. From memory, he said he and some band-mates went to the top of a nearby mountain, drank some Irish whisky, and sang some folk songs. My bullshit meter pegged, the accolytes cooed lovingly.

This level of adoration and idolatry has never and will never happen with Moby.

> > it probably also fails when applied to other musical performers of
> > similar temperament.
>
> What temperament? Grandiose pompoids who imagine themselves saviors?

That's a good question. What really distinguishes Bono from any high profile televangelist, to pick one example?

@ J T. Ramsay who said:
> Forget Moby -- I'm interviewing Mariah Carey -- in person -- Friday afternoon!

Ask her when she's going to do a real Playboy photo shoot, if she's so proud of the work of her plastic surgeon.

@ joseph noonan who quoted:
> And Moby, you can get stomped by Obie,
> You 36 year old bald headed fag blow me
> You don't know me, you're too old
> Let go, it's over, nobody listens to techno
>
> -- Eminem "Without Me"

We can table why Marshall Mathers wrote this, even Sir Elton defended his "Slim Shady" LP for reasons that can be debated elsewhere. What I'd like to know is, do you think sexual orientation is a valid metric for assessing worth, musical or otherwise? Because I'd like to think that the zillions of fans of Elton, Liberace, and others prove that proposition wrong. Why did you post this lyric?

Percy