[lbo-talk] Moby - nerd, wuss, or dick?

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Thu Feb 28 10:35:16 PST 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Percival Myers wrote:

> @ joseph noonan who quoted:
>> And Moby, you can get stomped by Obie,
>> You 36 year old bald headed fag blow me
>> You don't know me, you're too old
>> Let go, it's over, nobody listens to techno
>>
>> -- Eminem "Without Me"
>
> We can table why Marshall Mathers wrote this, even Sir Elton defended
> his "Slim Shady" LP for reasons that can be debated elsewhere. What
> I'd like to know is, do you think sexual orientation is a valid metric
> for assessing worth, musical or otherwise?

No.

> Because I'd like to think that the zillions of fans of Elton, Liberace,
> and others prove that proposition wrong.

There certainly is no accounting for taste and I don't think that has anything to do with anyone's sexual orientation.

> Why did you post this lyric?

As a Moby insult.

I think the last two lines are the real insult leveled by the verse -- the rest is just, well, rapping.

Do you understand what a performance is?

Do you agree with every lyric of every song you listen to?