[lbo-talk] Moby - nerd, wuss, or dick?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 28 13:49:04 PST 2008

BklynMagus wrote:
>> I think the last two lines are the real insult
>>
> leveled by the verse -- the rest is just, well,
> rapping.
>
> Wow, verbal gay bashing is just rapping. Thanks for
> the update.
>
> And calling someone a "fag" is not a real insult.
>
> Is calling someone a "cocksucking fag" a real insult?
>
> How about "asslicking, AIDS-ridden, cocksucking fag"?
>

>> Do you understand what a performance is?
>>

> Yes. Do you understanding what gay bashing is?
>

>> Do you agree with every lyric of every song you listen to?
>>

> So if we do not agree that Moby is a fag, then it is not an
> insult? And if we think he is a fag, it is still not an
> insult since calling a fag a fag is no different than calling
> water wet.
>
> Brian

If hate comes to us as art we're supposed to simply appreciate the artistry and look past the hate. Or put the hate "in context" and still appreciate the artistry. So Obama's approval of manifest destiny and it's resultant genocide is artistic propaganda to savor, not to condemn as hate speech. Mather's gay bashing is also to be put into context and seen as the authentic artistry of an angry young man rather than hate speech. Or we can label it ironic and appreciate it from that perspective. The framing is far more important than the actual hate. If someone else who is not an artist says the same thing without labeling it art then we can condemn it as hate speech. It's very confusing to many red, black, and brown people as well as to many queers, women, and other minorities why this is so but white hetero males tell us this is so and failure to see the world through their lens is simply a sign of ignorance on the part of these dissenting minorities. Since some minorities agree with them it is obviously the correct point of view and those who disagree are either too provincial, ignorant, crass, or simplistically reductionist to really understand.

John Thornton