[lbo-talk] Antidepressants and Placebos

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 29 06:46:26 PST 2008

Andy F wrote:

> What I mean is that the placebo effect tends to be treated like
> experimental error, something to be eliminated, as opposed to
> something to be taken advantage of. I haven't seen much suggestion,
> at least in "mainstream" circles, of using it for treatment. Though
> of course that could get really complicated.]

You have a pain somewhere. You go to your physician; he discovers you have an ailment with a 70% in 5 years fatality rate with no known treatment. He tells you there is abrand new medicine that has proven very effective, though it costs $5000 per week. You say o.,k. and morgage your house to afford it. He gives you pink sugar pills.

Camn right it's complicated. And note the high cost is an essential part of the placebo's effectiveness.

And how do you compare placebo A with placebo B in a double bind test?

Carrol