[lbo-talk] WFB, again

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 29 10:01:32 PST 2008

On Feb 29, 2008, at 12:03 PM, MK wrote:

> And now David "Bobo" Brooks has weighed in. Lord, I dare not look.
> Just thinking about the man slices 20 points off my IQ.

Ha, no. He should make you feel smarter! Because he's a dreadful hack.

For those with a strong stomach, Brooks's funeral oration is at:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/opinion/29brooks.html>.

In it, he says: "He had a Tory gratitude for the pleasures of life: for music, conversation, technology and adventure." Not sure how "Tory" those things are; my first associations with the word are philistinism, anti-modernism, lockjaw accents, and bad food. But it is true that one would not associate those things with the contemporary left, which is sad. We're associated with guilt and hair shirts. Sad.

Doug