[lbo-talk] Nader endorses Edwards

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 1 10:20:38 PST 2008

joyce brothers wrote:

> Uh? Cause Dennis has way less chance than John?
> Cause Nader finally understands how he blew his chance
> to matter the last time he ran?
>
> Nader had a chance to change the debate. He blew it
> by running on the Green.

For those of us who believe that the only chance for changing the drift to the right in the u.s. is a mass popular movement _outside_ electoral politics, Nader was the ONLY candidate in 2004 who had a chance to influence the future. And as messed up as the Green campaign was (with Cobb's "safe state" strategy and other Democratic sabotage), Nader's campaign _did_ enlarge the outreach of local leftist activity in a number of localities, and in that (the only important) sense, the campaign was a moderate success.

Nader didn't contribute to Bush's election in either 2000 or 2004. I wish he had been responsible. Only when leftists begin to _seriously_ hurt DP candidates at all levels will there develop an opening to the left in u.s. politics.

Carrol