[lbo-talk] Nader endorses Edwards

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 1 11:44:35 PST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 1:20 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> For those of us who believe that the only chance for changing the
> drift
> to the right in the u.s. is a mass popular movement _outside_
> electoral
> politics, Nader was the ONLY candidate in 2004 who had a chance to
> influence the future. And as messed up as the Green campaign was (with
> Cobb's "safe state" strategy and other Democratic sabotage), Nader's
> campaign _did_ enlarge the outreach of local leftist activity in a
> number of localities, and in that (the only important) sense, the
> campaign was a moderate success.

You're kidding, right? Nader is a lone wolf who did nothing to build a lasting organization. He's long been known for not working in coalition with other groups. I believed that he would have some sort of lasting organizational influence in 1996 and 2000, but by 2004 I'd finally learned otherwise.

Doug