[lbo-talk] Democracy

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:21:21 PST 2008

On 02/01/2008, dredmond at efn.org <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:

> > What democratic control is there over the Eurocrats in Brussels?
>
> A little thing called free, fair and open elections which are (1) not
> raffled off by billion euro political donations and (2) run on the
> principle of proportional representation.

He asked about Brussels and you answered about Strasbourg. There is a democratically-elected Parliament, but it's weak; the EU's real power lies with the unelected Commission and the indirectly-elected Council (many of the representatives to which are certainly beneficiaries of dodgy donations). If the reworked EU Constitution is passed the Parliament will have even less power - and the other two institutions will be even less representative of the people.

> Don't get me started on the EU mass media - some of the finest in the world.

Not in the part of the EU where I live. And I'm inclined to doubt it's true in the other parts, either. How much time have you actually spent over here?

(PS to Chris - not yet, March)