[lbo-talk] Democracy

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jan 2 17:40:26 PST 2008

On Wed, January 2, 2008 2:21 pm, Wendy Lyon wrote:

> He asked about Brussels and you answered about Strasbourg.

The Commission is indeed accountable to the national electorates, though, and those are mostly run on proportional representation. Over time, the Parliament has been gaining power. Not as much as I'd like, but you have to start somewhere.

> How much time have you actually spent over here?

I lived and studied two years in Germany, 1994-1996, and I've closely followed the construction and expansion of the EU for eleven years now, in print, media, press, aesthetics, films, you name it.

I'm not sure people realize just how far gone the US Empire really is. How insane its political system is, how bribed its political class is, how violent, psychotic and corrupt its domestic and foreign policy. We've got two million adults in jail, five million under surveillance, spend $800 billion a year on military insanity against enemies which literally do not exist, and plan to wage Total War on most of the planet for fifty years. Compared to this, the EU looks pretty good.

-- DRR