[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Jan 4 11:27:40 PST 2008

> CB: Do you think a fascist movement in America is likely to take the
> form of white masses supporting a Black liberal for President ?

This formulation is all wrong from the jump. I think what Carrol was trying to say was that in America, a "fascist" movement, whatever that might be, would come through a pleasing, uplifting, hopefully entertaining figure, rather than from a stern moralist who goosesteps. Gore Vidal pegged this decades ago, saying that an American dictator would be more Arthur Godfrey and less Douglas Macarthur. Vidal thought that Reagan was that figure, but then, that puts personality ahead of system.

Dennis

^^^^^^^ CB: Maybe he was saying that, but in America , a fascist movement won't be with a pleasing, uplifting, hopefully entertaining figure, who is also Black with the politics of a typical Black American. That's the main political point. US fascism will be racist not anti-racist.

And it's an important point to make. US fascism would be racist and anti-Black. Ignoring that makes Carrol's point disinformative, unwise, not clever, the opposite of what he's trying to do.