[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 4 13:24:33 PST 2008

John Thornton wrote:

> I can almost guarantee you an American fascist movement will not be lead
> by a person of color.

His color was not the focus of my post; his campaign and his way of treating issues was. I too would doubt that The Leader would be a person of color, though even that is not inconcievable. As many have pointed out on this thread, the key thing about his campaign is that it lets whites believe that race doesn't matter. And having a black face in the oval office is small price to pay for not only preserving white status every place else but letting whites feel virtuous. The model is in all those police dramas in which the commanding officer is black and/or a woman, but all the important characters are white males. Also consider the disaster films in which the President is black, though there is no change in the structure of everyday life, and the hero(s) and heroine are white.

There will be no progress on "race" in the u.s. until there is a WPA favoring blacks and scattered public housing throughout the large cities. That would be a beginning. Scattered because that is the only way to desegregate housing. Oh yes, private schools and home schooling would have to be abolished. Probably metropolitan areas would have to be consolidated under a single municipal government, abolishing the privileges of suburbs. We really need about at least 10 separated small public housing rojects in Northbrook & Winetka. If necessary with armed guards to shoot vandals.

Black Man in the White House. Trivial.

Carrol