[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 4 13:29:40 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008, at 3:53 PM, John Thornton wrote:
>
> > I can almost guarantee you an American fascist movement will not be
> > lead
> > by a person of color.
>
> Why this pointless obsession with an American fascist movement?

My fault with a flippant sentence ending an earlier post. But discussion of such a movement is not wholly pointless -- examining what an actual fascist movement would look like helps define more clearly the non-fascist nature of the actual threats to freedom in the u.s. Those do exist; we need to debate strategies of opposition, and that debate is continuously cluttered with irrelevancies about fascism. Just because we recovered from the Palmer Raids and the Great Red Hunt of the '50s does not mean that recovery from such periods will always be automatic.

Carrol