[lbo-talk] Sub-prime crisis in Kansas City

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 4 14:13:56 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> the white people most
> likely to vote for a black guy who tells them that race doesn't
> matter anymore aren't raving racists; they just want to stop thinking
> about the whole race thing because it makes them uncomfortable.

Consider what off the top of my head I listed as the necessary changes to fight structural racism in the u.s. That is, as soon as you begin to think "about the whole race thing" very seriously, you _also_ have to start thinking both about very painful and deep changes _and_ the kind of struggle that achieving those changes would require. Damn right it's uncomfortable.

Carrol