[lbo-talk] Sub-prime crisis in Kansas City

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 4 16:03:33 PST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008, at 6:09 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> John Thornton predicts:
>
>> Targeting poor blacks more than poor whites isn't limiting
>> yourself to one kind of poor. It targets both but unequally
>> based on racist criteria. Since the extent of this mess is
>> still unknown we don't have reliable data to show this
>> conclusively but I'd be willing to bet that when the data
>> becomes available it will support this idea.
>> Would be be willing to bet otherwise?
>
> *shrug*
>
> But I'll tag this PREDICTION so we can come back and check it
> sometime.

The Boston Fed did some rigorous mortgage studies in the late 80s or early 90s showing significant racial discrim after controlling for everything else. I hope someone does that for this cycle. The industry won't release FICO scores to researchers now, but you should be able to do it with the HMDA data.

Doug