[lbo-talk] Dennis Perrin on the ecstasy of the Dems

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 20:32:38 PST 2008

Doug
> Woj, sometimes it seems like you've got a set of scripts that you
> invoke regardless of how tangential the stimulus is. The excruciating
> thing about all this Obamamania is its delusional quality - that he's
> something other than a loyal servant of the status quo. Were he
> elected, do you think any of the following will change? 1) The U.S.'s
> global imperial ambitions. 2) The U.S. jailing more people than any
> other place on earth. 3) U.S. energy profligacy. 4) The fact that the
> U.S. has the most unequal distribution of income and the highest
> poverty rate in the First World. 5) Any of your standard race and
> gender gaps on income and wealth.

What I said -- and what Woj seconded -- was not that Obama would change anything or even try but that his election would be the result of changing expectations and that this would be a good sign.

My sister - an innocent soul, forty-something child-welfare worker - is a big Obama fan. She read his book and has completely fallen for his "audacity of hope" message. And I don't argue with her because the proof will be in the pudding if he's elected. I also think that if the vast majority of people vote for Obama because they think it will bring a certain amount of positive change, this, in itself is a good thing. I mean 1) what alternative do they have and 2) they will neverthless exert a certain kind of pressure. Even their disappointment will be a better thing than the self-satisfaction of a Hillary reality vote.

Joanna