[lbo-talk] Naked Nazis

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 15:59:06 PST 2008

Dali met Franco on many occasions. His kind words for Hitler were one of the main things that caused his rift with Breton.

I was unaware I had a theme. (Aren't you the guy who likes Boyd Rice?) I find the "fascists were illiterate thugs" trope (forgetting about Manetti and Pound and Dali) to be as annoying and wrong as the "Stalinists were illiterate thugs" trope (forgetting about Brecht and Sholokov and Shostakovich), and I would point out the latter if it came up too. I think a lot of it is the dehumanizing-of-one's-enemies bit, in which people don't want to believe that their enemies have any redeeming qualities whatsoever, and, moreover, want to believe that talent gives you moral insight. It doesn't.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs