[lbo-talk] 12%, plus

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 7 16:57:34 PST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 7:48 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

>>> pre-1933 gold that is "untraceable."
>>
>> All gold is pre-1933, no?
>
> I suspect she's talking about coins that were minted before the US
> stopped minting gold coins in 1933

Yup. That's what The Google leads me to believe.

What's the coin premium like? Pro-cyclical, or random?

> Some people like coins because they are
> separable: try selling half an ingot if you want to go to the Super
> Bowl!

Don't most people buy warehouse certificates rather than physical gold? Unless they're clinically paranoid?

> If you do that with a coin, you've lost any premium it might have had
> for being collectable. But you also might have made it an expensive
> proposition to get someone to buy it, because now it doesn't have any
> markings from a producer that's known well enough. ".9999 HENWOOD'S
> KITCHEN" doesn't sell so hot these days.

No, fer sure. But the exchanges all have recognized vendors who sell certified ignots, right?

Ah gold. "Part of the apparatus of conservatism," said Keynes. "Odorless dehydrated filth that has been made to shine," said Ferenczi.

Doug