[lbo-talk] Dept. of WTF: Protesters demand Hillary iron their shirts

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 09:33:07 PST 2008

Barack Obama and Mike Huckabee as the two parties' Pres. candidates in 2008 will be one of the most surreal fucking things ever, if it happens. A new level of cultural "what in the holy hell." The USA is hick-y enough with Cowboy Dubya in office. With "President Huckabee" we'd sound even more like we're off in the sticks. PRESIDENT HUCKABEE, with Chuck Norris in tow. Good lord.

This is all horse-race analysis, BUT: The bad blood is increasing between Hillary and Obama to such a degree I can't imagine them reconciling and being on one ticket -- and Edwards is joining more 'n more with Obama, no? (A Hillary + Obama ticket would fail anyway. USA 2008 will not elect a white woman and black man together as symbolic leaders of the nation; we're just too much beholden to the yahoos for that to happen.)

So, in short, there is no way the next President of the US will be a black man named Barack Hussein Obama who was educated in a 3rd world school in a mostly-Muslim country, no matter how thick and syrupy he lays on his "audacity of hope" charisma. And Edwards joining him in attacking Clinton means Hillary will be less likely to choose Edwards as VP as well, which before seemed a logical choice for her -- because, the US being the fucked up country it is, there will HAVE to be one white hetero male on the ticket in some capacity for the Dems to stand a chance at winning. The only one I can see that seems viable is Edwards.

White woman (Hillary) + white man (Edwards) seemed ideal, from a cold and calculating tactical standpoint. (Not an ideological standpoint.) But now Edwards is attacking Hillary in a way that makes it hard for me to imagine him suddenly jumping aboard the VP train for her.

Barack as president I really don't see happening. For his fans, with whom I'm increasingly in disbelief, it's like they really are smitten by some 2nd coming of JFK-type thing, a knight in shining armor from the pearly halls of Visionary Idealism, making everyone feel good or something, but not doing much else.

-B.

berber carpet bomb wrote:

"yup. by i don't see why her campaign couldn't have been behind it. if it ever comes out that she was, there'll be a stooge to take the hit and claim they were acting without her campaign's knowledge. 'k. i didn't remove the tinfoil at at all. But this is why I was sooooooooo grinning when I saw she came in third in Iowa. "