[lbo-talk] Obama-mania: where is the true danger?

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Tue Jan 8 15:31:32 PST 2008

>While entertaining and somewhat profitable, these heated topics miss
>the most important thing: the neutralization of genuine
>left/progressive politics (what Wojtek derides as purist delusion) and
>near total replacement of that politics - even amongst some of the
>sharpest thinkers and activists - with a tolerance for pleasant
>appearance, airy aspiration and feel-goodism.

Leaving aside the truth of what you write -- can one person's electoral campaign really be the source of such an apolitical turn? -- I find it interesting that the argument you marshal here is precisely the opposite of what many people on the left -- including, since I'm typing to this list, our esteemed moderator and host -- argued four years ago. Which is to say, in 2004, Kerry's election would allow for some breathing room, give the left the space and desire to really push for progressive change, etc. In 2008, things look very different. Whereas a Kerry presidency would (negatively) inspire, or at least allow for, "genuine left/progressive politics," an Obama presidency, the consensus seems to go, would ensure its "neutralization."

What's changed, I wonder, in four years?