[lbo-talk] Kuchinich explains backing Obama over Edwards

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 8 14:25:49 PST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 5:14 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> That's all it takes to doom the system -- use the word "crisis." There
> are hundreds of ways to privatize in ways that don't nominally
> privatize. All politicians who use the word crisis are committed to
> damage if not destroy SS. I claimed that on some list (this one?
> the old
> marxism?) back when Clinton raised the subject in a speech in New
> Mexico. Monica saved us.

Yup. There is no crisis. And for Obama to say bullshit like this:

<http://www.barackobama.com/issues/socialsecurity/>

> "We… have an obligation to protect Social Security and ensure that
> it's a safety net the American people can count on today, tomorrow
> and forever. Social Security is the cornerstone of the social
> compact in this country… Coming together to meet this challenge
> won't be easy… It will take restoring a sense of shared purpose in
> Washington and across this country. But if you put your trust in me
> — if you give me 'your hand and your heart' — then that's exactly
> what I intend to do as your next President."
>
> Obama will be honest with the American people about the long-term
> solvency of Social Security and the ways we can address the shortfall.

is to concede too much. If he were really "honest" he'd say the talk of crisis is bullshit. But if he said that, he wouldn't have been named one of the DLC's 100 most promising young politicians....

Doug