[lbo-talk] Kuchinich explains backing Obama over Edwards

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 8 14:40:32 PST 2008

Carrol Cox wrote:
> John Thornton wrote:
>
>> Barack Obama: I think the point your making is why talk about it right
>> now. Is that right?
>>
>> Jonathan Singer: Yeah. And why use the term "crisis"?
>>
>> Obama: It is a long-term problem. I know that people, including you, are
>> very sensitive to the concern that we repeat anything that sounds like
>> George Bush. But I have been very clear in fighting privatization. I
>> have been adamant about the fact that I am opposed to it. What I believe
>> is that it is a long-term problem that we should deal with now. And the
>> sooner the deal with it then the better off it's going to be.
>>

> That's all it takes to doom the system -- use the word "crisis." There
> are hundreds of ways to privatize in ways that don't nominally
> privatize. All politicians who use the word crisis are committed to
> damage if not destroy SS. I claimed that on some list (this one? the old
> marxism?) back when Clinton raised the subject in a speech in New
> Mexico. Monica saved us.
>
> Carrol

While Obama says he is opposed to privatization he, unlike Edwards, refuses to take it off the table as a possible option to "save" SS. And adopting the rights rhetoric about a crisis is more than slightly troubling. I don't frequent Obama's website but the last time I was there, several months ago, the citation Max posted was not there so maybe it was added after the Singer interview in mid-November? In the end, while it may seem overly simplistic, one has to look at who the corporate media fawn over and who they don't to get some idea who the ruling class think will better serve their interests. If they felt Obama was a progressive they would not be falling over themselves to praise him. Edwards gets very little more press than Kuchinich perhaps for a good reason?

John Thornton