[lbo-talk] Obama-mania: where is the true danger?

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Jan 8 14:28:25 PST 2008

>>> Doug Henwood

On Jan 8, 2008, at 4:55 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> 1970s-style identity politics

Yeah, that's what caused 90% of black voters to pull the lever for white Dems for all these years.

^^^^^ CB: Ok, so the Black voters have not quite been a fully soc dem voting bloc all these years, and so there is not much danger that a Charles Barron's supporting Big-O represents a disintegration of a soc dem voting bloc ? It's a bit overstated to claim O is leading Black people astray. If Black people vote for O, I'm sure they'll still vote for a soc dem if she becomes a real contender for president or some other office in the future.

It still seems like a majority of whites voting for a Black candidate ( even a centrist liberal with all the faults exposed on these threads, including not playing the race card :>)) would be about as good a thing that we could get out of the Am electorate in 2008. And if O wins ( which I still kinda would have to believe when I see it; what's the vote in NH?), he's not likely to be worse than Clinton or Edwards, is he ? Is anybody claiming O would be worse than any of the others in actual practice ?

Disclaimer: I'm not ecstatic about any of this. Honestly. I'm not excited. It's a cold-blooded observation.