[lbo-talk] Obama-mania: where is the true danger?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 8 14:54:40 PST 2008

Charles Brown wrote:
> It still seems like a majority of whites voting for a Black candidate (
> even a centrist liberal with all the faults exposed on these threads,
> including not playing the race card :>)) would be about as good a thing
> that we could get out of the Am electorate in 2008. And if O wins (
> which I still kinda would have to believe when I see it; what's the vote
> in NH?), he's not likely to be worse than Clinton or Edwards, is he ? Is
> anybody claiming O would be worse than any of the others in actual
> practice ?
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not ecstatic about any of this. Honestly. I'm not
> excited. It's a cold-blooded observation.

I believe he will be worse than Edwards and indistinguishable from Hillary for all the reasons I've posted here. I don't know exactly what it means to "play the race card" but Obama's claim that blacks are "90% along the way to equality with whites" is a huge slap in the face to blacks in my opinion. If an NDN made that claim I'd be livid. Pretending race doesn't matter is dangerous regardless of what Wojtek and Obama claim.

John Thornton