[lbo-talk] Obama-mania: where is the true danger?

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:35:30 PST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 4:55 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008, at 6:31 PM, Eric wrote:
>
> > including,
> > since I'm typing to this list, our esteemed moderator and host --
> > argued four years ago. Which is to say, in 2004, Kerry's election
> > would allow for some breathing room, give the left the space and
> > desire to really push for progressive change, etc.
>
> Three years later, I'm feeling much less friendly towards the Dems. I
> wanted to see Bush lose in 2004. Now I have a harder time getting
> excited, though I do think politics is a form of entertainment
> sometimes.

I think people had less expectations of Kerry -- people voted for him knowing that he sucked. Wasn't there that Pell poll comparing Bush voters vs. Kerry ones -- the Bush voters tended not to know what they were voting for (like they were pro-Kyoto and thought he was too), whereas Kerry voters were against the war and knew he hadn't been.

I went to a Kerry fundraiser afraid I was going to be the only one who was holding his nose -- it turned out everybody there hated him, and was giving his campaign money all the same.

-- Andy