[lbo-talk] AAPOR on New Hampshire Polls

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 10 15:23:49 PST 2008

J Cullen wrote:
> I don't understand why someone would say they favored Obama when they
> would not really vote for him, for racial reasons, when they could
> just say they supported Edwards (or Clinton).

For the reason Woj listed below They want to look good in the eyes of others so they state they are going to vote for Obama because they believe this somehow shows they are not racist. In the booth however they do not do what they claimed they intended to do. This skews the polls. While a stupid thing to do I can understand why some would do this. I believe it explains part of what happened in Iowa and I also think the pollsters did not weigh correctly and under represented poor voters who went for Clinton more than Obama.

John Thornton