[lbo-talk] Writers' strike

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jan 12 17:14:40 PST 2008

J Cullen wrote:

> Worse, media companies are increasingly requiring freelancers to sign
> over all copyrights. Freelancers used to sell first publication
> rights (what where then called first North American serial rights)
> but oftentimes kept subsequent publication rights. With the New York
> Times leading the way, now many media companies simply take all
> rights -- and if they give the freelancers anything extra, it usually
> is a pittance.

Fascinating. Sounds like time for all these unions to form a co-op which would be supported by "union" dues and take over the marketing of writers and, perhaps eventually, the making of movies. I mean the web is a more than adquate distribution mechanism for video, print, and music. So why not. We DO own the means of production.

I'm also reminded about Ayn Rand's notion of a strike by the "intellectuals" -- sounds like the time has come.

Joanna