[lbo-talk] me on Kuttner's latest

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 13 16:04:47 PST 2008

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> --- John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> life or death to many. If you're in a position to
>> label it merely
>> disappointing (as I am) then you're privileged.
>> It makes sense to get upset at them when you
>> consider this.
>>

> [WS:] But this is like getting mad at a doctor for
> prescribing analgesics for illness for which there is
> no cure at the moment. The difference between doctors
> in such situations is merely frand names of
> palliatives.
>
> Wojtek

I'll go along with your analogy but add the correction that it is not like getting upset at a doctor not for prescribing an analgesic but more correctly for prescribing aspirin instead of Lortab for severe pain because he believes antiquated ideas about suffering being good for ones moral constitution or some such crap. I only want the Dems to prescribe an analgesic but I want them to prescribe the best one in the pharmacy. The quality of life difference this can make is quite real. That's really all I expect of them and it is something they are structurally capable of delivering.

John Thornton