[lbo-talk] me on Kuttner's latest

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 07:15:47 PST 2008

--- John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I only want the Dems to prescribe an analgesic but I
> want them to
> prescribe the best one in the pharmacy. The quality

[WS:] And what would that analgesic be? I think that Mr. Obama's campaign of "hope" is one of the most potent opiates of the masses available in the pharmacy.

A change in the living conditions is not a palliative but an actual change, and this is not going to happen here. The capital's position is now probably the strongest since the Cvil War and they see no need to make any concessions the way they did during the Great Depression or after the Sputnik went up. They can afford hoarding more for themselves without any fear of a backlash, and that means less for everyone else. No electoral farce is going to change that.

One more thing. I understand that what I am saying now contradicts what I was saying on this list before, but I recently lost all hope, being swayed in part by views posted to this list. Repugs, Dems, bad cop, good cop, tweedledum, tweedledee, it is all the same circuses for the masses financed by the rich, only the stage props change. And there is no relief in sight. Even the discussion of a looming crisis does not look very convincing to me - they've been through more serious crises than subprime mortgage or falling dollar, and they somehow managed to stay afloat. The US economy is pretty substantial and it has a lot of material resources at its disposal to stay afloat. It certainly will not go down just because the lines on a graph do not cross as predicted.

Wojtek Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ