[lbo-talk] A Mac in my future

Mike Beggs M.Beggs at econ.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 15 19:46:33 PST 2008

I switched from Windows to Ubuntu linux a little while back after years of inertia on Windows. I'm not especially technically-inclined and it was very easy to set up. The computer runs much more quickly and smoothly. I've had no trouble getting equivalents for the Windows software I used to use (mainly Word, Excel, mp3, dvd and filesharing). It's rejuvenated an old PC I thought was ready for retirement.

I've used Windows at home and Macs at work for years. I've always wanted to ditch Windows. But I've never seen Macs as a better option because of the expense and the fact that you're tied to proprietary hardware as well as software. Linux on a PC is in my opinion the best option because it works on any computer, so you're not tied to Apple or Microsoft for anything. And therefore it's cheap. I understand the appeal of Mac elegance if cost is not a issue. But the basic Ubuntu desktop is plenty elegant enough for me.

I don't want to get into the old OS wars... But just pointing out the other option.

Cheers, Mike Beggs Scandalum.wordpress.com