[lbo-talk] A Mac in my future

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 06:40:30 PST 2008

--- Mike Beggs <M.Beggs at econ.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> to ditch Windows. But I've never seen Macs as a
> better option because of
> the expense and the fact that you're tied to
> proprietary hardware as
> well as software. Linux on a PC is in my opinion the

[WS:] THat is my impression too - Mac seems to me an overpriced gadget owing his reptation mainly too its maketing of "coolness" rather than technology, which I understand is on a par with a PC if not inferior.

So as I see the choice is not between technologies but between appearances and perceptions - a marketing gimmick vs a monopolist. Pick your poison.

I stay with the PC mainly for economic reasons - PCs are way cheaper than Macs for comparable technologies (or perchaps use-value created by these technologies), and I can get free software from work.

As to the alternative OS (linux etc.) I hear it is good for computer geeks who are more excited about the enrails of heir machines than actually using these machines to the real-wold tasks. In other words, high transaction costs for those who are not computer savvy enough to tweak their own operating systems proficiently (that includes me).

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ