[lbo-talk] hmm, and I thought it was talk therapy that was ineffec tive!

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 07:30:26 PST 2008

--- "farmelantj at juno.com" <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:

> Placebo effect, I would think. Most of the studies
> that I
> am aware of concerning the efficacy of
> antidepressants,
> claim that they take at least several weeks before
> they
> take effect.

[WS:] I agree. I was on Wellbutrin for a while because my doc insisted on it (I was supposed to be a high depression risk) - but it just made me jittery. Perhaps because I was skeptical about the effects of anti-depressants to begin with. Later on, I tried talk therapy and it worked much better. And having a healthy relationship is still getting me better all the time http://www.lyricsdepot.com/the-beatles/getting-better.html.

I can undersdtand that SSRI have an effect similar to that of cocaine - they inhibit the reuptake of certain neurotransmitters which can produce euphoria in some people or jitteriness in other. My reaction to cocaine was btw very similar - more jittery than high, not a very pleasant experience.

My ex who was bipolar said that antidepressants did not have much of an effect either - they took some edge of bad depression but she was still depressed.

As I understand it, US capitalism has two major responses to alienation and depression it produces: drugs and religion. Both involve opiating the masses and milking them for profit.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping