[lbo-talk] the music of politics

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Thu Jan 17 16:55:58 PST 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, B. wrote:

> [Speaking of politically questionable uses of songs,
> how about Alabama adopting Lynyrd Skynyrd's sorta
> kinda reactionary "Sweet Home Alabama" as the state's
> official tourism song? That song was written as an
> angry rebut to Crosby's song about racism in the south
> -- "Southern Man" -- and how Crosby was full of shit,
> basically. "Us southern men don't you around" Skynyrd
> told Crosby, for his criticism of the South's racism.
> - B.]

Neil Young, not gun nutter turned Texas jailbird and sperm donor to Milissa Etheridge, David Crosby. "Southern Man" wasn't even a CSNY song, but was on After the Gold Rush. The lyrics in the Skynyrd song contain:

"I hope Niel Young will remember, a Southern man don't need him around anyhow" (or something like that)

-j

That's three and I'm outta here.