[lbo-talk] hmm, and I thought it was talk therapy that was ineffec tive!

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Fri Jan 18 08:20:56 PST 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, John Thornton wrote:

> Many years ago I was prescribed an anti-depressant as a sleep aid.
> I was not depressed, I just couldn't fucking sleep.

I am very curious as to what drug this was.

The reason I ask is I find overwhelming confusion amongst people I know other than physicians and nurses, as to what anti-depressants are and what tranquilizers are. Many, if not most people seem to think the clinical effects of AD's are like those of valium or xanax. This includes people I know that actually take Prozac or Zoloft.

I am perfectly aware that SSRI's can be prescribed for certain kinds of anxiety, but the effect on that anxiety is not the same as the effect of taking a *zepam like drug which are 'downers'. I have never, ever heard of an AD being prescribed as a sleep aid although things like diazepam or lorazepam are commonly prescribed for that reason.

> I was told it might take a few weeks to see results. In less than one
> week I was nearly suicidal and fortunately my live in GF not only
> noticed the change (it was obvious to her) but suggested it was the
> sleep aid I was taking.

That certainly sounds like Prozac, not Valium, which has become rather (in)famous for taking a depressed person and turning the suicidal. I still think it is weird way of treating insomnia when there are perfectly good sleeping pills w/o any such side effects . . .

-j