[lbo-talk] hmm, and I thought it was talk therapy that was ineffec tive!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 11:05:25 PST 2008

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.

My understanding is that many peoples' bodies will acclimate to medications that are "good" for them (like the freely-prescribed Wellbutrin, or the performance-enhancing psychoactive substance we call "caffeine") just as much as it will try and develop a tolerance to medicines that are "bad" for them (e.g. cocaine). Your body doesn't know, or care, what the prevailing political regime has decided should be bad or good for it. It just reacts how it reacts.

So folks develop a tolerance to antidepressants like Wellbutrin and have to be switched once they tolerate it too well. The body doesn't know not to avoid tolerance because it's supposed be the good thing politically or policy-wise.

-B.

B. wrote:

"Folks develop tolerance to vitamins and antibiotics, don't they?"

Andy F wrote:

"Huh? Like they need to take increasing doses to get the same effect?"