[lbo-talk] hmm, and I thought it was talk therapy that was ineffec tive!

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Fri Jan 18 14:38:45 PST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, John Thornton wrote:

> Now you can say you do in fact know of someone who has been prescribed
> AD's for use as a sleep aid.

Actually, two.

> Incidentally they were not SSRI's but TCA's so your confusion may stem

No, my memory failed me. While driving home from work yesterday, not long after I sent that message, I remembered that my aunt who struggled with depression and insomnia was prescribed TCA's for sleep back in the 70's and 80's. In fact, one TCA she took even has a suggestive name: Tofranil PM (which iirc is imiprimine). She took two different TCA's, Elavil (amitriptyline) in the morning and Tofranil and night.

-j

--

What I see can never be what you see, if only because I can see what is behind your head.

-- Mikhail Bakhtin