[lbo-talk] Scientology: the beliefs

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 15:25:28 PST 2008

--- wrobert at uci.edu quoted:

> > Those are my thoughts. Most xtians believe most of
> the bible is true.

No they don't. Fundamentalist Protestants, most of whom reside in the United States, do. That's what makes them Fundamentalists. There was a whole major historical event people may have heard of called the Reformation revolving around this very subject. Moreover Fundamentalism is a very new, modern phenomenon. Sts. Augustine and Thomas did not believe in the literal truth of every passage in the Bible.

> > You have to believe the whole god impregnated a
> virgin nonsense to even
> > be a xtian.

No you don't. What you have to believe to be a Christian is that Jesus was a manifestation of God and died to redeem the world. Whether you believe he was literally God's son born of a virgin woman is a matter of individual belief and denomination.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping